The research process deals with the ways and strategies used by researchers to understand the world around us. This is a guide to basic elements of scientific research.
Formulating questions, collecting data, testing hypotheses
Setting up experiments
Different types of designs used in research
A guide to statistics in research.
What is Research?
Steps of the Scientific Method - The scientific method has a similar structure to an hourglass - starting from general questions, narrowing down to focus on one specific aspect, then designing research where we can observe and analyze this aspect.
Aims of Research
The general aims of research are:
Purpose of Research - Why do we conduct research? Why is it necessary?
Elements of Research
Common scientific research elements are:
Characterization - How to understand a phenomenon
- Decide what to observe about a phenomenon
- How to define the research problem
- How to measure the phenomenon
- The research questions before performing research
- Almost always based on previous research
- What answers do we expect?
- Reasoning and logic on why we expect these results
- Testing characterizations, hypothesis, theory and predictions
- Understanding a phenomenon better
- Drawing Conclusions
We would love feedback on this article.
Please let us know about any error.
We highly appreciate suggestions.
Create your own online survey on Explorable in minutes!
No technical skills required. No installation needed.
The Survey Builder is designed by Explorable, no third party involved.
- Simple and fast setup
- Beautiful design
- Works on any device
It is really simple - create your questions and publish. Send the link to your responders. It's that easy.
Sign up for our newsletter now!