The research process deals with the ways and strategies used by researchers to understand the world around us. This is a guide to basic elements of scientific research.
This article is a part of the guide:Discover 14 more articles on this topic
Formulating questions, collecting data, testing hypotheses
Setting up experiments
Different types of designs used in research
A guide to statistics in research.
What is Research?
Steps of the Scientific Method - The scientific method has a similar structure to an hourglass - starting from general questions, narrowing down to focus on one specific aspect, then designing research where we can observe and analyze this aspect.
Aims of Research
The general aims of research are:
Purpose of Research - Why do we conduct research? Why is it necessary?
Elements of Research
Common scientific research elements are:
Characterization - How to understand a phenomenon
- Decide what to observe about a phenomenon
- How to define the research problem
- How to measure the phenomenon
- The research questions before performing research
- Almost always based on previous research
- What answers do we expect?
- Reasoning and logic on why we expect these results